Thursday, December 15, 2005

No athlete in this stereotype

For today's nap time matinee was Bad News Bears starring my fav, Billy Bob Thorton. The film was hilarious with a great commentary (for you DVD geeks out there). It brought up some old memories for me. I was never the competitive type- excluding sibling rivalry. My parents didn't have me in t-ball, or soccer (i wanted to) and when i was in 6th grade i joined basketball. I never ever grasped the fundamentals but i kicked ass at foul shots and defense...lol. I remember screaming in my head "please don't pass me the ball. Please don't pass me the ball". Basketball camp: i brought the rain and kicked ass but to tell you the truth, that was a fluke. Even got a trophy. In high school i tried out for basketball (our school had like the #1 or 2 freshman team in the district), and i passed out during try outs while we were on a 10 minute break. I'm black. I statistically should have been awesome (especially since i went to a school that was only 13% minority!). I had friends calling me at home that night wondering what the hell happened. One minute i was there and the next i was crawling home. A year passed and i then tried out for softball. Even bigger mistake. We were the number one softball team in the district. My body stood like a freakin' antenna. I got hit in the face, both ankles, my back and arms. I made first cut but i didn't even come close to making the team at second cut. No black stereotype here either. Swimming was bad for the hair. I wasn't into the running thing because i was slllloooow. Cheerleading was a $hitty experience on the JV team for two years. Cheering for the jv all- girl basketball team was not exactly what it was cracked up to be. I wonder how many other athletic deficient black folks are there in the world. But i gotta tell you, i can dance and there is always dodgeball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Achieving top seeded amature status since 2005