Friday, April 21, 2006

In Fashion

For as long as i can remember i had a affinity for all fashions from an era way before my time. I would watch I Love Lucy, Donna Reed and My Three Sons and think that they had the coolest clothing. The ballet flats. The mod sunglasses. The paisley prints. My favorite pictures of my mother were of her in her frosted lipstick with bee hive hair and a skirt so full i haven't a clue how she sat down..lol
As i entered my teen years i still loved everything Mod, but i started watching Laugh-in and The Monkees (wasn't Davy Jones ever so dreamy?..lol) reruns from the 1960s and those Gidget films from the 50s/ 60s (Gidgit Goes Hawaiian RULZ!!!!). The colors were so bright and vivid. The psychedelic prints made my head spin in the greatest way. It was then i started using "far out" and "groovy" to everyone despite the stares and snickering.
Fast forward more than ten years later i still search for [affordable] sewing patterns of pencil and full skirts like my fashion icons wore in those black and white television programs. Wouldn't they look perfect with a pair of Jackie Kennedy big- ass sunglasses and Audrey Hepburn like ballet flats?! I once even found a vintage dashiki (tunics) in my mother's dresser from the 70s but it was way too small for my breasts..lol I know that all that is the rage in fashion these days. My mother and father keep saying "i can't believe they are wearing that again"! rolling their eyes. I can easily get any of my dream wardrobe from my local Old Navy or JCPenny even, but you know, it saddens me. I guess i really loved those fashions 'cause they were modest (well, most of the time. Those skirts were damn short. My ass needs a lot of fabric to cover it up), feminine, classic, and of course hard to get in the 1980s and 90s.
I call myself an unconformist; not an anarchist, but i do strive to go against the norm as much as possible. I like being the black sheep. It's fun and fulfilling. I feel like i am my own person and i don't succumb to the marketing machines. So I hate that everywhere i look i see everyone wearing the clothes i've idealized just because some no talent shook her ass in a music video flaunting it! I'm bummed that if i actually had money to spend on these items (lmao) i'm looking like everyone else.
White shades. I can get at Claires like everyone else.
Tunics. Target just had a sale.
Ballet flats are now featured at Payless Shoes.
Oh well, if i really don't care about what other people think then it shouldn't really bother me anyway. On the surface i'll look like another carbon copy but on the inside i'll still be me (cue the applause..lol)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Achieving top seeded amature status since 2005