Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Am I an Artist Finally?

Am I finally comfortable with calling myself an artist? For years I have considered myself a crafter because it was personally felt that I hadn’t achieved that level yet (but I knew that I was going to get there). Recently I have started painting with great enthusiasm. I’m actually in awe with what I have accomplished. Playing with paints that I have not touched in years (not since my short stint as a studio art student back in 2001) have evoked the spirit that I have been trying to capture since I first touched a crayon.
My dad is an artist (mixed media). He taught me so much but I never felt that I could ever be that good. I believe the reason I felt that way was because any time I showed my work to anyone, their reaction was never to my expectation. Not even close. So I stopped showing people what I could do. I even stopped trying to hone my talent because the irrational fears had placed me in a mind- set that everyone would laugh at me (“They’re all gonna laugh at you”..remember from Carrie..lol). Even when I took a painting class I refused to show the class what I had done ‘cause my body of work looked crude compared to everyone else.
Now at 28, I think I’m ready to call myself an artist. Not only because of my current success with mixed media (acrylic and Sharpie on wood panels), but because “I Think, Therefor I am” ...lol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Achieving top seeded amature status since 2005