Saturday, March 04, 2006

a Moleskine..umm. a Notebook

I am a compulsive list maker, writer, doodler, what-have-you. I was elated to find a mate in a man that shares this compulsion. It was certainly a learned behavior because my earliest journal dates at age 14.
My cousin- we'll call her "K"- use to write down EVERYTHING in a marbled composition book every night right before she went to bed. I will bet money she still does it. Anyway, i was fascinated by her dedication and the information she would put in these books (there were a few times she let me read some). By the time i picked up the habit she most of had a hundred.
"Aren't you afraid someone is going to read 'em"? i asked.
"No," she retorted. "If they see something about them and don't like it, then that is their fault for invading my privacy."
Wow.
I tried to write, but i found that my mother was a snooper- so was i..lol- and i felt i could not be as candid as i wanted. For the next 5 years i went through one journal a year. I would pick a pretty book to write in- i didn't fancy the compositor books. Sometimes i would find one that i couldn't write in 'cause the pages just didn't call for me to do it.
In college i moved into my own apartment by myself and had a pretty cool computer setup (i HATED dorm life. I was the bitch who use to call the cops because i was trying to sleep and it was 4 in the morn on a Friday). "Why don't i make my own journal"? So using Microsoft Word, Paintshop Pro, a scanner, 200 looseleaf papers, and Kinkos i produced a cool journal that i was excited to write in. I was so impressed with my results i made a very personalize year planner with a Janet Jackson Velvet Rope theme (we'll talk about my janet days another time)!
i eventually graduated to these hard back, wirebound, lineless journals from art supply stores (the pages fall out) since the looseleaf papers of my old journals aren't archival. Now i use a soft cover, sketchbook dilly from Walmart. It's only $5 and it does the job: documents my life and keeps my mind clear. I actually sleep better 'cause of it.
This blog entry had a point..lol. I read an article while in MD about a renaissance of journaling/ note taking on paper rather in a blackberry or some computer thingy. An inevitable backlash to everyone being so dependent on computers. They mentioned something called a Moleskine (make up your own pronunciation). Famous writers like Hemingway and artists like Matisse used these moleskines.
I had no idea that people didn't write notes or journal on paper anymore. I haven't a blackberry but i write all my appointments on my Van Gogh calendar. I never journaled on a computer like Doogie Houser, MD because i always thought "what if i crash my computer..again"? I would lose everything. With journaling, i'm also creating a legacy. Something that may be found in the rubble after the machines take over the world.
Why have we even come to this? An existence that finds conventional forms of documenting our thoughts and plans strange? I know this is kinda weird since i'm going to print this blog entry and paste it in my journal..lmao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Achieving top seeded amature status since 2005