Monday, July 03, 2006

Edna Lewis' Carrot Cake

I made a carrot cake today (yea, I kinda gave the bedrest a rest). I happily had all the ingredients already in my fridge and pantry to make my first attempt at baking a carrot cake.
Last week I checked out a book by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock titledThe Gift of Southern Cooking. I had learned about this complementing chefs on a late on PBS. Lewis grew up in a Virginia town, Freetown, founded by her grandfather and learned true good southern home cooking from the originators. She did not really break out until she moved North and cooked in a restaurant where many found her meals to be breathtakingly wonderful. This was all before the civil rights movement. She was even a communist for a while (if I had heard correctly)..lol.
Eventually (around the late 80s I believe) hooked up with the white youth, Peacock, and budded a beautiful partnership. They cooked together, they lived together and wrote cook books together.
I recommend this cookbook. It’s easy to follow and I made my first moist cake (I use to make the driest cakes in the world, with the exception of my chocolate cake which is heavenly). The recipe only required 2 bowls a sifter and a whisk!! My only complaint was that I did not care for the cream cheese frosting. I guess I have been spoiled with the overly sweetened versions I’ve had in the past. The frosting seemed like it belonged more on a bagel than a cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Achieving top seeded amature status since 2005