Friday, July 14, 2006

My Love Affair with Cream of Wheat

Everyone that knows me is aware that I am in LOVE with Cream of Wheat. It is something that I could live off of (and actually did when times were tight). When I was a little girl, my Auntie Yvette use to make it for me every time she was in my presence and let me tell you that it took me over 20 years to make it exactly like hers. My mom would make it too but her’s tasted different (not bad different mind you).
For the last several months I have been without. The grocery stores that I frequent stopped carrying the kind that I have great admiration. That is the red box that cooks in 2 ½ minutes and is NOT served in prepackaged servings. The preserving packets taste like absolute tripe! I wouldn’t feed it to a dog.
The other day we drove all the way to the Piggly Wiggly (about 10 miles out of the way) just to find my favorite box. I even indulged in the Enriched Farina (which I have never tried other than the stuff sold by the pound at the Caribbean market back home). It is obvious to say that I have stuffed myself for the past two days.
I make it using whole milk (gives it a nice richness), lumpy (that’s a real skill) and sweet (using sugar and Pure Vanilla Essence) with a small pad of unsalted butter. I have it down to a science and I loath it when the hubby wants some out of my pot. “What if there’s not enough for me”? I ask myself selfishly. Since the babe’s birth I have learned to share with her, but she doesn’t eat that much as a 28 year old carpenter.
Man, I can bathe in it! I bet it's even good for the skin (i mean, oatmeal baths are so why can't cream of wheat..lol)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Achieving top seeded amature status since 2005